Monday, March 18, 2013

St. Patrick's Well


“We used to be told in the nursery that if a man were to bore a hole through the center of the earth and climb continually down and down, there would come a moment at the centre when he would seem to be climbing up and up. I do not know whether this is true.  . . If I do not know what this reversal or inversion feels like, it is because I have never been there.  . . We cannot follow St. Francis to that final spiritual overturn in which complete humiliation becomes complete holiness or happiness, because we have never been there.”
G.K. CHESTERTON









Such a great St. Patrick’s Day (even though I learned that nobody really cares about it in Orvieto). I spent it at mass at San Giovanni where I practiced with the choir afterwards for the upcoming Easter service. One of the men in the choir is my very own Andrea Boccelli. He also sang in a concert that we attended Saturday night in the Duomo which was in the chapel with some very famous frescoes. What is my life? 

After grabbing a bite to each from the bread shop by the post office, I descended into il Pozzo di San Patrizio  (St. Patrick’s Well) which is quite the architectural fete. The well was built in the 16th century for water access in the event of a siege, and was built large enough to bring mules down the stairs to carry the water up. It has a double helix staircase so you can go down and come up without retracing your steps. It felt like the closest thing I would experience to what GK Chesterton was describing… descending and coming up differently than we came down.

I also found the least Italian thing in Orvieto: a little pub near our monastery that has a little Viking as their logo/mascot. They had burgers and hot dogs (for when I break under pressure of homesickness) and are one of the few places that serve Guinness. It felt like a cave in the area we all squished into and there were clip art-esque murals of barrels and steins.

We finished the night bundled in the sala of our Monastery (which is still without heat unfortunately) watching Fantastic Mr. Fox. I couldn’t ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment